Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

my ex husband has recently been awarded SSDI. he has not yet, but will be getting a "backpay" settlement lump sum check from the time he applied two years ago. we have 2 children both under 18 years of age. I am applying for dependents benefits on their behalf next week. I know that my children will get child support that will come directly from his monthly SSDI payment, but he is over $10,000.00 behind in arrears. will my children also get a lump sum check for those arrears from the time he filed and receive a monthly payment ? or will they only start receiving a monthly support payment? if they only get the monthly payment, how do I collect arrears from HIS lump sum payment? child support services closed my case a year ago because it was not enforceable, so the record of arrears with them was wiped out to $0. How do I collect these arrears..this could give my children a savings for college.

Asked on 7/11/13, 10:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Laurie Thomas Law Offices of Laurie M. Thomas
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will need to get a judgment for the amount. You can accomplish this by filing a contempt action against him. Also talk to Child Support Enforcement about reopening the case.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 12:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now