Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

My brother & I are joint owners of property in Union Co, GA. He wants me to buy him out of his half. Is all that's needed for this transaction a quitclaim deed & transfer of money before a notary? If not, what else is required? Thank you.

Asked on 4/11/13, 5:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your brother will need to file a Form PT-61 with the Union County land records office and pay the fee. When you execute the quitclaim deed, you must do so before a notary AND another witness (preferably an independent witness). Your brother will also want to record the deed in the land records office. Best advice - Hire a lawyer for a few hundred dollars and have it done for you and right the first time. Regards,

The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney client privilege.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/13, 5:26 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The deed needs two witnesses (not just one). You also need a PT-61, recording fees and real estate transfer taxes. And of course the deed needs to be properly worded.

If there is money owing on the property, a deed may cause the lender to foreclose.

Since a lawyer can do this very cheaply, don't chance a problem.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/13, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now