Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

My husband and I purchased a home this summer from a woman getting a divorce and being forced into selling the house. She made the process very difficult and even created damage to the property after the walk through (i.e. ripping curtains out of walls, dogs peeing on carpet). We incurred hundreds on dollars repairing and cleaning up after her. Months later we paid the county tax as required. Yesterday, we were contacted by the lawyers on behalf of the seller. Apparently, the estimated tax upon closing was more than what we actually had to pay and now the seller wants for us to reimburse her several hundred dollars. Can I legally get the seller to pay for the damage she created to the house? Do I have to reimburse her the overpaid tax amount? Thank you for your time.

Asked on 10/24/13, 6:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

That depends completely on two things we have not seen - the sales contract and the closing papers. Hopefully you used your own lawyer to review papers before signing, and that is who you should call now.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 6:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now