Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Georgia

Before I was married I inhereted some property with a building on it. I am now living in Seperate Maintenance and my soon to be ex husband has piled the building and property up with junk. He has fought me on trying to sell the building and rent it out for the six years we were married. I need to rent it out because we will be divorced soon and it will help pay for my individual health care. He won't give me a key to the building either. As well, he is a deputy sherriff and he used to work in the civil department, so he thinks he can "outsmart me" because he knows the laws on evictions! Help!

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

A lawyer could deal with this cheaply and easily. Until you choose to hire one you'll have a problem.

Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys

Unless your husband is living on the property or you permitted him to use the property pursuant to a verbal lease agreement, you do not need to evict him. And you would not need his permission to sell it, unless he is a co-owner.

SHERRY RAGOLE RAGOLE & ASSOCIATES, LLC

You need to employ an attorney for any conflict that requires a court to settle your differences with another party. Divorces are no exception, and actually present a situation where the need for representation is heightened, because all of your possessions are at risk, instead of just a portion of your assets. When an opposing party is in law enforcement, they sometimes have advantages that other individuals don't, making the need to hire an attorney even more critical for you.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Georgia