Legal Question in Consumer Law in Illinois

I recently bought a vehicle on Craigslist for $6000. The odometer read 97934 miles. I purchased the car because of the millage. The title actually said it has 160445 miles. I noticed this and asked him about it and he told me that it was okay and that the odometer was accurate. So we went through with the sale. I later found out that Carfax, as well as the secretary of state both has the same millage of 160445. I contacted him so we could settle this outside of court, and he agreed to give me my money back and I would sign the title back over to him. When we met up at the currency exchange, he had a change of heart and left. I want to sue him for breach of contract, because according to his craigslist ad, he said the car had 97000, and not the 160000. I also think it could be fraud if he ever tampered with the digital odometer on the vehicle.I'm a broke college student that just got schooled. I don't have a bill of sale either. Should i go through with this small claims suit?

Thanks in Advance,

Francisco Velasco

Jeffrey Whitcomb www.whitcomblawfirm.com

I would file a small claim. To establish a fraud claim, you will have to prove that the seller knew the mileage on the odometer was wrong even though he told you it was accurate.

Good Luck.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Illinois

Consumer Law Legal Forms