Illinois  |  Consumer Law

Hi I WouD Like Know what rights do I have. I Took Clothes Into A Resell Shop To Sell .They Refuse To Buy .I Was Told My Clothes Had Tags On Them And If I Bring A Receipt With The Items Then I Couldn't Bring In To Sell .

Answered on: 9/26/13, 1:29 pm by Stephen Messutta

You have no "rights" to force a private store to buy anything from you unless you have a written offer or advertisement that promises anything like that. Plus what you say doesn't make sense. If you had the receipts that proves you purchased them legitimately and therefore the shop would not have to worry about them being stolen goods. But most people selling to resale shops also don't understand (my wife and I owned one): resale shops will NOT pay you what's on the tag, and will not pay you a percentage of THAT amount even if the goods are new: they will only pay you a percentage (usually 25%-50% max) of what they think that can RESELL the goods for, because a lot of things are out of style, or obsolete, or irregular, or out of season, etc.

Attorney address not available