Illinois  |  Criminal Law

I was caught shoplifting at a Macy's department store. I was caught with $147 in merchandise and brought in to the county jail. I was released that night and given a court date. I have a civil fee of $500 that I set up a payment plan to repay.

I was just wondering what I should expect at the court date. What is the judge going to ask me? Do I need a court appointed attorney?

This is my first offense and am currently working 2 jobs to keep up where I am living. Should I expect jail time for something like this? I heard from some other sources about possible probation or shoplifting classes.

Answered on: 6/25/13, 4:00 pm by Andrew Gable

You may be able to avoid a conviction in this matter. Give me a call if you want some help.

Andy Gable

Law Office of Andrew Gable 330 S. Wells St., Suite 400F Chicago, IL 60606

Answered on: 6/25/13, 5:59 pm by George Zuganelis

The first court date the judge will tell you to hire a lawyer. You work two jobs and you're not eligible for the public defender. There is a possibility of no conviction by having your lawyer ask the prosecutor for theft prevention school. But you have to have an absolutely clean record. then there is a possibility of expunging your record after you successfully complete the school. Good luck.

Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C. 2536 S. california Ave, Lower Level Chicago, IL 60608