Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/26/09, 12:42 am

Childs Naming Rights?

Can my exgirlfriend change my sons name to her new husbands name without my permission, even though she has custody?

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/26/09, 9:53 pm by Lesley Hoenig

Re: Childs Naming Rights?

In order to change your child's name she has to go through court to change the child's name and properly serve you and give you an opportunity to object. Since Husband wouldn't be adopting the kids, I would think it would be quite unlikely that the judge would allow such a change, but I'd recommend you consult with a local attorney that works with name changes on a regular basis.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law 300 South University Avenue Mount Pleasant, MI 48858

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search