Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

family law

In Illinois, what is the legal age a child no longer has to visit a joint custody parent? Our divorce decree is in Illinois, but the children and I live in Missouri. Their father lives in Illinois. He has joint custody, but only elects to see them a few times a year.

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law

Re: family law

There is no age where a child can just decide to unilaterally not see the parent. If you want to modify visitation you're going to need to get to do a motion, in court, to modify the order. You might want to ask father if he is in agreement, but I don't see the court favoring cutting the father off completely from the kids, as it is in the best interests for the kids to have a relationship with both parents.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois