Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

family law

In Illinois, what is the legal age a child no longer has to visit a joint custody parent? Our divorce decree is in Illinois, but the children and I live in Missouri. Their father lives in Illinois. He has joint custody, but only elects to see them a few times a year.

Asked on 3/21/09, 9:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: family law

There is no age where a child can just decide to unilaterally not see the parent. If you want to modify visitation you're going to need to get to do a motion, in court, to modify the order. You might want to ask father if he is in agreement, but I don't see the court favoring cutting the father off completely from the kids, as it is in the best interests for the kids to have a relationship with both parents.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/09, 9:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now