Illinois  |  Family Law

I am divorced, I signed quit claim deed so and my ex wife had 4mos to refi. If she couldn't as of 4mos the house is to be listed for sale in a commercially reasonable fashion by the two of us.

It has been 4mos so I called her to set appointment. She informed she hired and signed a contract w a local realtor and will not give me any info and she is keeping many of the appliances that were assumed part of the home. I found out my name is not on the title (it is along with her name on the mortgage).

I do not want the realtor she hired and I did not agree to cintract, i have not seen contract nor was I asked to sign contract. I also can't believe she is keeping approx 12,000 worth of ammenties that we bought for the home and should be sold with home.

I have no lawyer and I have been financially drowning since divorce trying to get back on my feet. I pay her a great deal of child support and I wouldn't have it any other way, I love my children more then I hate her. I dont even known if this is legal or not. I dont know what it means that my name is not on title. In short what can I and or can't I do. Any help ANY HELP would be appreciated. (State-Illinois)

Thank you.

Answered on: 8/29/13, 2:26 pm by Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq.

If you signed a quitclaim deed, the house belongs to your wife and she can do whatever she wants with it. She doesn't need your permission to sell it or pick a realtor or keep any of the amenities in the house. This is the very reason you don't sign a quitclaim until the last minute or upon getting your money. Talke to the lawyer who represented you in the divorce..

Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis 3845 West 58th Place Chicago, IL 60629