Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

can I press charges for adultery on the un-married party.

Asked on 6/05/13, 8:11 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Only the states Attorney presses criminal charges for adultery. i do not believe that there has been any such charge placed in over 50 years. If you want to seek a divorce on the grounds of adultery, you are entitled to do so, but it does not give a leg up on anything and in fact may adversely affect you - judges do not like such public airing as it is on the record forever.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/13, 8:42 am
Lela Davis Law Office of Lela J. Davis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I believe that adultery is still a crime in Illinois, however it is a Class A misdemeanor. It would be up to the State's Attorney to press charges against your spouse.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 6:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now