Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I'm seventeen. My mom is emotionally abusive. I live with her now. She drags me to bars, etc. when I lived with my dad my step mom was physically abusive. I have a vehicle and a job. How can I legally move out?

Asked on 6/02/13, 10:31 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

George Ellis The Ellis Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should seek an emancipation order from a court. To get an emancipation order under the “Emancipation of Mature Minors Act” you must file a case in court and then convince the judge that you are a “mature” minor. Keep in mind that you may find it difficult to get the judge to order that you be emancipated if:

Your parents object to your emancipation

You are seeking emancipation in order to qualify for public aid and you have no other income

You cannot prove you are mature

You still live with your parents and are wholly supported by them

Read more
Answered on 6/03/13, 12:08 am
Conor Malloy Malloy Law, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As the other answer states, you can seek emancipation. However, you might be 18 by the time the judge orders something.

Read more
Answered on 6/03/13, 3:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now