Illinois  |  Personal Injury

Last week my Pit bull got out of the house some how when I was at work. I left work at 7:30am and around 3:00pm he got out. The front door was supposedly wide open and locked. My dog got into fights with 3 different dogs and in the process nipped one of the other dog owners hands. Two of the dogs had vet bills under $500 with minimal damage but one day was seriously injured. The person who will probably be filing suit had two dogs injured and had her hand nipped. The medical bills are supposed already over $8,000.00.

I feel bad for everyone involved and I will end up putting my dog down because I do not want him getting out again and doing this. My question is at what level am I responsible for this? The door that the dog got out of had been shut for 7 hours that day and it now has a large crack down the frame of the door. I have no clue is someone tried to break in and that's how the dog got out or not.

Any advice is very appreciated. I am also an Illinois resident.

In addition I am a renter and I don't have renters insurance.