Illinois  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/12/13, 12:32 pm

we live in an apartment complex that we signed a 12 mo lease to and about 6 months in decided to upgrade to a bigger unit. we put a $150 deposit down on the new unit but didnt sign anything, we only signed a paper saying we would be out of our current unit by june 15th. Things happened with our jobs and we decided not to move to the new unit but we still have to be out of our current unit since they already rented it out to someone. now theyre saying we're breaking the lease and we have to pay 3200+ for doing so. is there any way to avoid this fee since we never signed a lease to the new unit and they already rented out our current one?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/12/13, 2:50 pm by Zedrick Braden III

Hello. Based upon your posting I do not see how you owe $3200 to the apartment complex landlord. Furthermore, I question whether management can lease your unit to another person since you never moved and still have time remaining on your lease for the smaller unit. You certainly need immediate legal representation. Will be happy to discuss this further and in more detail.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ainsworth & Associates PC 203 North LaSalle, Suite 2100 Chicago, IL 60601

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search