Indiana  |  Intellectual Property

new idea

I have an idea for a new product. How do I make sure when i go to manufactures and financial resources they will not steal my idea? Do I need to obtain copy right or patent for it ?

Answered on: 11/02/07, 1:44 pm by Wilfred Holness

Re: new idea

First make sure you tell no one or try to sell your idea or possible invention. There are statutory rules on what you can do and when you can do it. If you do indeed have an invention, then you may be entitled to a patent. Be careful of anyone who offers you help with your invention. ONLY PRACTITIONERS REGISTERED WITH THE UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE (USPTO) ARE AUTHORIZED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO HELP YOU OBTAIN A PATENT. There are companies out there that are not patent attorneys and therefore are not authorized to prepare or prosecute (help you get a patent) a patent application. You should first try to procure a patent on your invention before you try to sell your invention so that you may maintain your rights. Therefore I recommend that you first contact a patent attorney. The attorney must be a "Patent Attorney". Only "Patent Attorneys" can claim to be patent attorneys and help you obtain a patent.

WILFRED HOLNESS 1443 East Gun Hill Rd. New York, NY 10466