Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

I live in Iowa city Iowa. Starting process of getting divorce but waiting to hear back from Iowa legal aid which could take2 weeks. My husband left me while on a drinking bungee and now wants to move back in to house. He tried last night without even asking or telling me, I found out bc I saw his bags. He tried locking me out of the house. I am scared bc I believe he is mentally unstable right now. I want to pack up things and leave the house but don't know how that will affect the divorce proceedings and division of assets. So my question is how should I proceed.

Asked on 7/27/13, 6:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

What's your question? No legal action has been taken so his rights are as good as yours. Leaving because you do not feel safe is a better reason than worrying about how it will affect the dissolution (it won't) or the assets (it won't). What's more important? Your life or your potential property rights?

Read more
Answered on 8/02/13, 11:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now