Iowa  |  Family Law

I live in Iowa city Iowa. Starting process of getting divorce but waiting to hear back from Iowa legal aid which could take2 weeks. My husband left me while on a drinking bungee and now wants to move back in to house. He tried last night without even asking or telling me, I found out bc I saw his bags. He tried locking me out of the house. I am scared bc I believe he is mentally unstable right now. I want to pack up things and leave the house but don't know how that will affect the divorce proceedings and division of assets. So my question is how should I proceed.

Answered on: 8/02/13, 11:28 am by Robert Luedeman

What's your question? No legal action has been taken so his rights are as good as yours. Leaving because you do not feel safe is a better reason than worrying about how it will affect the dissolution (it won't) or the assets (it won't). What's more important? Your life or your potential property rights?

solo practitioner 2008 66th Street Windsor Heights, IA 50324