Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Iowa

I purchased a house back in 2008, I was married a month ago now in 2013 and am selling my house to move down to live with my wife in our apartment. The title is still only in my name, does my wife have to sign any of the agreements for me to legally sell my home?

Thomas Moens Moens Law Offices, Chartered

Yes, she should sign the purchase agreement, and she will need to sign the deed. I would suggest that you hire an attorney now. Do not rely on an attorney who only prepares the deed for you. Get representation, not document preparation.

Lana Luhring Laird & Luhring

Yes. Your wife will need to sign the deed. I am a bit more ambivalent about the purchase agreement unless the other parties bank is requiring it. Iowa has title standards that require your wife to sign to convey good title. If you have a real estate agent helping you you probably don't need to hire a separate attorney. You should be able to have them guide you through the process and obtain a legal services to assist with the items that require legal advice. Regards ...

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Iowa