Kansas  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/23/10, 10:45 am

My only living parent has recently died. I had power of attorney and most all of her assets were already in my name. I'm told that once the parent dies, the power of attorney is no longer valid. I don't think there is a will. How do I continue her affairs?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/23/10, 2:17 pm by Keenan Post

Sorry for your loss. Your information and understanding is correct. Your authority under the POA did end when your mother passed. Those assets that you either owned jointly with your mother or that you are the named beneficiary on will pose no problem, you will simply need to present a death certificate and collect and manage the assets as you deem necessary. The only assets you will have a problem with are those titled in your mother's individual name with no named beneficiary and that are not jointly owned. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any additional questions.

Keenan Post

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Post Warren Lindstrom, LLP 12980 Metcalf Avenue, Suite 180 Overland Park, KS 66213

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search