Kansas  |  Wills and Trusts

My only living parent has recently died. I had power of attorney and most all of her assets were already in my name. I'm told that once the parent dies, the power of attorney is no longer valid. I don't think there is a will. How do I continue her affairs?

Answered on: 6/23/10, 2:17 pm by Keenan Post

Sorry for your loss. Your information and understanding is correct. Your authority under the POA did end when your mother passed. Those assets that you either owned jointly with your mother or that you are the named beneficiary on will pose no problem, you will simply need to present a death certificate and collect and manage the assets as you deem necessary. The only assets you will have a problem with are those titled in your mother's individual name with no named beneficiary and that are not jointly owned. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any additional questions.

Keenan Post

Post Warren Lindstrom, LLP 12980 Metcalf Avenue, Suite 180 Overland Park, KS 66213