Kansas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/28/04, 6:36 pm

Domestic Abuse and Property Settlement

My husband and I have been married 3 years, but were common law for 7 years prior to our marriage. Husband has been out of steady work for nearly 4 years now. I put him through school. He used refunds from my school loans to pay his portion of our bills during the time he has been unemployed.He did not get laid off - he would just never go get a job. I go to school and work full time. When he finally left, he took the car (our only vehicle that I used to get to work and school) as it was in his name. He defaulted on our house rental lease as well - which I assumed sole burden of. He claims he can take all of our property, including a large antique collection that we both collected which is our only real asset and which he used my money to pay for while he was unemployed. Husband has been horribly abusive for years and I am in the process of getting a protective order against him. He is in the military reserves and is very careful and charismatic with authority figures. He has told me no one will believe my word against his. I don't have enough money left over every month to hire a lawyer - what should I do?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search