Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Kansas

roommate will not pay utilities

My roommate and I signed a year lease in August. Since then we have been each paying half of the phone, cable, and electric bills. We no longer get along because she never pays the bills on time. She now stays with her boyfriend, but all of her furniture and things are still in our apartment. She now refuses to pay for the phone and cable because she is never there. Is she obligated to pay for half of each of these? I am willing to take her to court to get the money. She also has my desk locked in her room and I have asked her four times in the past month to move it out of her room. Is there any way I can force her to move it out of her room without going to court?

Asked on 1/30/02, 4:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bonnie Selby Bonnie J. Selby, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: roommate will not pay utilities

Anything in writing about sharing the monthly bills? Yes, you can file a small claims action for reimbursement of her share of the monthly bills...wherein you would present evidence of your verbal agreement to do so, if not in writing. What will be her testimony? Did she agree other than by her past performance? (which may be sufficient to show her agreement) Do you want her to move her furnishings out of the apartment? Are you willing to continue the lease obligation on your own?

Only you can know whether or not you can convince her to move your desk out of her about arranging to pick up she and her friend after class one day to help you move it from her room?

Read more
Answered on 1/30/02, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Kansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now