Louisiana  |  Credit and Debt Law

I live in Louisiana. I divorced my ex-husband in 2007. In the divorce, I was stuck with a $13,000 Discover debt. I wasn't able to pay that. When we sold our house in 2009, there was a lien against it from Discover. The took my cut of about $1500. I haven't heard from then since until the other day. I got some mail from an attorney stating that Discover would settle for $9000. I don't have near that kind of money. I'm wondering if this issue is "time barred" since it has been so long and what should I do?

Answered on: 2/15/13, 7:32 pm by Nick Pizzolatto, Jr.

6 years is not so long, but does Discover have a Judgment against either of you for the amount owed? In the settlement, YOU basically agreed to pay that bill, even though you say you were STUCK with it. So if he presses the issue, you could be found in contempt of court for not complying with the court's order. Why not go bankrupt and get the pressure off of you?

Pizzolatto Law Office 2771 Paul White Road Lake Charles, LA 70611

Answered on: 2/17/13, 10:54 am by Robert Louque

It appears you have a judgment against you because Discover had a lien against the house. They have up to 10 years to collect on a judgment and they can renew it every 10 years so it never expires.

You should talk to a consumer lawyer in your area to see what your best option may be.

The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C. 700 Camp Street New Orleans, LA 70130