Louisiana  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/07/13, 8:06 pm

I received divorce papers today and in it states "defendant should be ordered to show cause there should not be a judgement in favor of the plaintiff and against the defendant, ordering the defendant to pay the plaintiff a sum in accordance with the Louisiana child support guidelines as child support for the care and support for the minor child"

With that being said my question is do I have to pay by the guidelines? Her and I have a set agreed amount of what I need to pay. Just would like to know what that means and at the end of the divorce it states that I am gainfully employed! What does that mean?

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/08/13, 5:59 am by Andrew Casanave

First, saying you are "gainfully employed" means you have a job that pays you money.

The Child support Guidelines are a formula that calculates the income and child-rearing expenses of both parents to establish how much actual money is appropriate to order one parent to pay to the other. If the court has to decide how much support is to be paid, it uses the guidelines. Parents can agree to an amount on their own and a judge will order that that sum is the amount to be paid.

I suggest you consult a Louisiana lawyer who can compare your agreement with the guidelines and see what is best for you. No two divorce/custody/support matters are the same.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Andrew M. Casanave 1032 Ryan Street Lake Charles, LA 70601

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search