Legal Question in Employment Law in Maryland

i was fired from my job and filed for unemployment. now i am waiting for my phone interview which is scheduled next week, so they can determine whether or not to release benefits. im a bit nervous though because my last employer is saying i was discharged for insubordination. what is the penalty for payments, if any? i am not sure of this. i was found to be insubordinate for not signing a paper at work, therefor resulting in a discharge. i am not sure if insubordination of that matter falls into any category of "misconduct".

-Maryland

Dipo Akin-Deko Akin-Deko Professional Services Firm PLLC

The unemployment process in Maryland has a few phases. The initial interview and possible second interview; if one party appeals then a hearing examination; if another appeal then brief to the board of appeals; and if another appeal finally to the circuit court. Most don't go past the hearing examination. If you are found to be discharged for gross misconduct or misconduct as defined under the law you have to pay back anything you have received. Its best to consult with an attorney to see what options you have in your case.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Maryland

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms