Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Michigan

I am a landlord with a District Court ordered judgement that the ex-tenents never paid anything on, and it time to extend my judgement, but I just received notice they are filing a Michigan Chapter 7 Bankruptcy case. Do I have any recourse or way to exempt my debt from the filers? Would it do me any good to renew/extend my judgement?

Asked on 10/25/12, 1:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas R. Morris Silverman & Morris, P.L.L.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably not.

It may be that the debt is not dischargeable as having been incurred by fraud or willful and malicious injury, but that is unlikely given the few facts of which I am aware.

Renewing the judgment would be prohibited if the judgment debtors receive a discharge, and would be stayed as against the debtors who file bankruptcy.

This response if for discussion purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/12, 2:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Michigan

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now