Michigan  |  Construction Law

We had our house built 5 years ago. For the past 3 years we have had persistent black mold growing in our bathroom and have notified the lending institution and builder. The lender had a company inspect it and they confirmed that it is black mold and we shouldn't be living here with our 5 children. The inspector said it is due to the builder not following codes. In this time my wife has had cancer and struggles with her health. We are not receiving any help or information from either partys responsible. Do we have any legal leg to stand on?

Answered on: 9/20/13, 5:00 am by Patrick Tracy

The law in Michigan is that within 6 years of knowing of deficiencies you have a cause of action for breach of contract. You probably have a case, however I do not know all the facts of the case or the language of the contract for construction of the house.

Contact an attorney in your part of Michigan for further investigation of the issues.

Good luck!

Patrick J. Tracy, Esq, P.E., P.O. Box 93 Garrett Park, MD 20896