Michigan  |  Criminal Law

Will my record be cleared in the state of Michigan, at 18, if I have only 1 misdemeanor and am currently 17?

Answered on: 8/18/13, 10:05 am by Neil O'Brien

You have to file a petition in the court where you were convicted to set aside your conviction.You do not tell us when you were convicted, what the charge was, etc. Was it a juvenile adjudication or an adult conviction? Some offenses / crimes cannot be set aside. You have to file an application in the court where you were adjudicated (juvenile case) or convicted (adult case). There will have to be a court hearing. This is not an automatic thing. For an adult case, you have to wait at least 5 yrs after your conviction. For a juvenile case, you have to wait until at least 1 year after your disposition (sentencing) on the juvenile case or until you turn 18, whichever is later. You have to submit your fingerprints to the State Police so it can check for other cases.

Eaton County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney 1045 Independence Blvd Charlotte, MI 48813