Legal Question in Construction Law in Minnesota

The contractor we hired abandonded our project in April of 2010 when we fought back on 'change orders' he was trying to impose on us after city codes were not met by him. Now he gave us an intent to file a mechanic's lien form that claims the last date of work was 8/24/11. We received this notice on 7/13/12. He is obviously lying on the form. It also seems he is well beyond the timeframe to file this. Can he just file it even though it is false? He has not yet attempted to go through with it, but what can we get prepared if he does? This is in Minnesota for law purposes.

Daniel Reiff Reiff Law Office

There certainly seem to be some issues with your contractor. I hesitate to answer definitively without reviewing your documents, but you may have counterclaims you can make if he does attempt to foreclose. In fact, you may have claims you can make now. However, I would need to see your documents before being able to give you a solid answer. Regardless, you should consult an attorney immediately.

More Construction Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Construction Law Legal Forms