Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

I was charged with Obstruction Of the Legal Process about 3 weeks ago. I was very intoxicated and honestly do not remember most of it. I spent 8 hours in jail then they let me go. I talked to a police officer that morning and he said I was mouthing off to a cop, so they arrested me. I have nothing else on my record. I am in school full time and work full time. I am trying to figure out if I need a lawyer or what I should do next. My court date is September 27, 2013. What is the fine I am looking at? Should I get a lawyer and what are the fees for that usually? What should be my next move?

Nathan Hansen Nathan M. Hansen, Attorney at Law

Cops routinely ignore what the law of what obstructing legal process actually is. It doesn't sound to me like this conduct is obstructing legal process. Get a lawyer. Don't plead to anything until you have had the advice and representation of a lawyer.

Nathan Hansen

651-704-9600

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. You should confer with an attorney just as soon as possible and I urge you to have attorney assistance all through this matter. It is an important goal to have a 'clean' record. You also ought not post details of this matter on a public website, as your statements may potentially be used against you. You are welcome to contact me.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Criminal Defense

Phone 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily

Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services

I would suggest that you set a goal of keeping your public criminal record clean. If you plead guilty or are convicted, you will not be able to qualify for a statutory expungement of your record, ever. Because this is so valuable, and irreversible if screwed up, I suggest retaining a good criminal defense lawyer to represent you in this.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota