Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

Hi, I was given a citation for theft from khols on May 8. Later I received a notice that I need to pay khols the total amount of the goods I tried to steal, which I did. But unfortunately I moved to a new place and the notice with the court date went to my old address. Couple of days back I was arrested for missing my court date and was given a new date on Aug 20. I want to know hot to proceed with the given situation and get the arrest off my record if possible. Im an international student holding F1 visa and I have a GPA of 3.9. Im stating that just to show you that Im not a bad person but was dumb doing such a thing in the first place. Thank you.

Asked on 8/10/13, 12:05 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Hello. You are in need of private attorney assistance and counsel. If you are low income or indigent, you may apply for a public defender. Otherwise, you should make arrangements right away with a private attorney for help for you. You should not post any details of your private issues on a public website. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Phone: 612-296-9666




Read more
Answered on 8/10/13, 12:16 pm
Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You would be wise to retain a good criminal defense lawyer to help you keep your record clean, including for immigration law purposes. I have experience doing that. You may call me to discuss if you wish.

Read more
Answered on 8/11/13, 8:02 am
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Do not pay the demand. It can be used as an admission of guilt. Retain legal counsel.

A theft offense can be very serious. While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed.

Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution. A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain period of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.

We can assist you in making sure that your record is not affected.

For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 8:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now