Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

My friend was changed with domestic assault but the girl wants to recant her story because she lied to the police how does the girl drop the charges against the guy so it will be of the guy's record.


Asked on 10/19/12, 1:50 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This question is asked, more or less, on a daily basis. Please look at the previous answers to these similar questions for more information. Basically, if she admits that she lied to the police she could be charged with a crime. In addition, the initial case is now in the hands of the prosecutor and the girl has very little leverage. The girl should consult with an attorney before doing anything.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/12, 6:48 am
Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense Services
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Charged? A charge is not a conviction. If there has already been a conviction, it's probably too late. If there is a pending charge, she can help the defense win if she likes - though she does not have the power to "drop the charges." Usually without the only witness the prosecution will be powerless to prove its allegation. It's not easy, but if she is smart and persistent ans working with the defense lawyer, she should win in the end and defeat the prosecutor. She also can retain her own lawyer to help fight the prosecutor.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/12, 6:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now