Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

My wife has a 12-year old son from a previous marriage & I would like to adopt him. She has sole custody & his biological father has forfeited all legal rights to him. We live in Minnesota. So, how do I go about adopting him?

Asked on 8/30/13, 5:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Hello. An attorney will be happy to assist you with this. The attorney will want to view the document or documents governing the biological father having no legal rights. Adoption law is complicated. If your finances are limited, know that some Minnesota licensed attorneys will be willing to assist you in a limited scope manner, to conserve costs. All the best to you and your family.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the year until 8 p.m. daily

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 5:08 pm
Maury Beaulier612.240.8005 Minnesota Lawyers
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your case would have to be reviewed. I am uncertain what you mean when you say the father forfeited all parental rights. Were his rights terminated by a Court? Or were custody and parenting time rights never established? There is a big difference.

Ultimately, if the biological father will agree, you may proceed with an action to terminate parental rights and proceed with a Step Parent adoption.

Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

(612) 240-8005

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 9/03/13, 8:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now