Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Minnesota

I will be moving to a MN town in a couple days and need a place to stay for 4 months. Every renter claims to only offer 12 month leases... but I was told by one of them that I can break the lease with 30 days notice and a small fee. If this is in the lease, and I comply with the proper actions to break the lease after 4 months, am I legally free from any further obligations or does the land lord still have the power to require me to pay the remaining duration of the lease?

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

Hello. If you known you want a 4 month duration lease, then I suggest that that should be the only agreement that you sign. Agreements are negotiable, and supply and demand is involved. Sometimes there are special clauses for early termination of a lease for a reason such as a purchase of a home or job transfer or more than X miles distance, and the tenant typically pays one or more fees of various sorts to have such a clause inserted in the lease. With the concerns you express, I urge you to have attorney review of any lease agreement prior to you signing. In general: Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

TRICIA DWYER, ESQ.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

[email protected]

http://dwyerlawfirm.net

LANDLORD TENANT LAW

Sam Calvert Calvert Law Office

Whatever you are told over the phone does not count -- you need to read the actual contract and see what the penalties for termination are.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Minnesota

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA