Mississippi  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/04/12, 10:32 pm

I found out my father died on Jan 22, 2012. I was not notified. He and my mother were never married and paternity was not established until I was 15. And then it was through the local DHS doing a DNA test. I know he had one other child. My question is how can I find out information regarding his estate? He was not a poor man at all.

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/05/12, 2:23 pm by Albert Pettigrew

Miss. Code 91-1-15 provides a time limitation which may be as short as 90 days after the demise of your father in which to file a petition for paternity in order to preserve your right to inherit through your father. As a family member you may seek to be appointed as the administrator of your father's estate. An estate would normally be opened in the Chancery Court for the county where your father resided. If one has been opened, the administrator can provide information and send you notices of court filings, etc.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices Ph 228-875-8736 401 Inverness Ct. Ocean Springs, MS 39564

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search