Missouri  |  Criminal Law

Being Charged

I am 15 years old and on the 7th of Feb. I ran away at about 8:30pm I was found by the police staying at my 18 almost 19 year old boyfriends house. I had just arrived there even though everyone thinks I was there the whole day. Now my boyfriend is in hiding because he is afraid of going to jail or getting sent back to Mexico(he's illegal). How long does my mother have before she has to charge him. A month, week, year etc. After that time is up can she do anything to my boyfriend?

Answered on: 2/14/05, 8:04 am by Bonnie Selby

Re: Being Charged

Your mother does not decide whether to prosecute the young man. . .the state prosecutor does that; I hope you realize the jeopardy in which you have placed the boy by your thoughtless conduct. If you are in danger in your home, notify the local authorities: police, sheriff, SRS, the county attorney/prosecutor and they will protect you. . .don't run away into a situation where you may be subjected to greater harm. Hopefully, your conduct will have been a maturing experience and you won't repeat it.

Bonnie J. Selby, Attorney at Law 1306 Grand Avenue Goodland, KS 67735