Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Missouri

what do I if file bankrupt a home was involved which is going up in foreclosure what do i do i do want to keep the home

Asked on 6/12/13, 4:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your bankruptcy attorney should explain the limitations on the lender. Whether, and how, you can prevent a foreclosure depends a lot upon the chapter of your bankruptcy filling. You can avoid the debt in almost all chapters, but a chapter 7 may not prevent the lender (or note holder) from foreclosing on the property. By law, you get to retain some equity. But, few properties being foreclosed have any equity. If you do, you may be able to borrow, to pay off the current mortgagee. You need to go over your questions with the attorney representing you in the bankruptcy. If there has already been a discharge, and your attorney did not explain that the lender can still foreclose, you may need to pursue a malpractice claim.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 9:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now