Nevada  |  Criminal Law

I am a cancer patient. I have about six months to live without a transplant. I suffer from memory loss and encalofamy due to the side affects from the medications I am on. I unknowingly stole a $5 lighter and the police gave me a citation with an $800 bail. The DA in Churchill County NV decided to file a criminal complant on me for Peti-Theft. What should I do? freeart55@live.com

Answered on: 8/06/13, 11:31 pm by Roger Harada

Wow, your case sounds compelling! First of all, I would recommend that you contact every criminal defense attorney in Fallon and see if they would represent you on a pro bono basis. Obviously, it makes little economic sense to hire an attorney for an $800 case, but I feel your case should be fought on principle, which might persuade an attorney to help you for little/no charge. You might also ask to speak directly to the elected district attorney about the office charging decision, as it may have been made by a deputy without knowledge of the unique circumstances of your case. Based upon what you said, without more, you certainly have a defensible case and should fight it, even if you do so yourself.

Good luck in both your legal and health endeavors.

Law Office of Roger R. Harada 475 S. Arlington Ave., Suite 1A Reno, NV 89501