Legal Question in Criminal Law in Nevada

I am a cancer patient. I have about six months to live without a transplant. I suffer from memory loss and encalofamy due to the side affects from the medications I am on. I unknowingly stole a $5 lighter and the police gave me a citation with an $800 bail. The DA in Churchill County NV decided to file a criminal complant on me for Peti-Theft. What should I do? [email protected]

Asked on 8/06/13, 10:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roger Harada Law Office of Roger R. Harada
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Wow, your case sounds compelling! First of all, I would recommend that you contact every criminal defense attorney in Fallon and see if they would represent you on a pro bono basis. Obviously, it makes little economic sense to hire an attorney for an $800 case, but I feel your case should be fought on principle, which might persuade an attorney to help you for little/no charge. You might also ask to speak directly to the elected district attorney about the office charging decision, as it may have been made by a deputy without knowledge of the unique circumstances of your case. Based upon what you said, without more, you certainly have a defensible case and should fight it, even if you do so yourself.

Good luck in both your legal and health endeavors.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/13, 11:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Nevada

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now