Legal Question in Business Law in New Jersey

Can my employer threaten my job for not coming to a meeting scheduled 70 miles from my home on a Sunday, when the office is closed? Can he also withhold my paycheck for not being at that meeting and signing a paper (which was previously signed at a different meeting) ?

Frank Natoli Natoli-Lapin, LLC

Assuming you have no written agreement that states otherwise, you are an "at will" employee. This means that you can be terminated at anytime for any or no reason (save for constitutional things like race) just like you can quit at anytime for any or no reason.

Your employer cannot, however, just refuse to pay you what he owes you. If it appears your employer is being unreasonable you can contact the NJ Dept of Labor and inquire about your rights (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/wagehour/complnt/filing_wage_claim.html).

Kind regards,

Frank

www.LanternLegal.com

866-871-8655

frank@lanternlegal.com

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis

More Business Law questions and answers in New Jersey

Business Law Legal Forms