New Jersey  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/15/05, 3:05 pm

marijuana first offense/making a deal with detective

My 18 y.o. son was arrested for possession of marijuana less than 50 (first offense). He also got a summons for trespassing. (him and his friends were on a golf course late at night). The officer and detective met with him and told him they would drop the charges if he cooperated by setting up two future drug transactions with the person he bought it from. My son gave the detective information about the person but he is afraid to set him up. This wasn't good enough - they said he had to actually take place in the drug transactions to have the charges dismissed. The detective put alot of pressure on my son. Since he provided the dealers information to the detective, he is scared and doesn't want to go any further. The detective said he won't help him anymore. So does he just go to his court date and plead guilty? Do we need to get an attorney? Also in reading past postings - ''conditional discharge''? - would he ask the judge for this or the prosecutor? Would he ask them in advance or at the court date? Is there anything else he can do beside participating in a future drug deal that could help him? Wasn't providing information on the dealer helpful? Thanks in advance for your time.

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/15/05, 4:38 pm by John Ducey

Re: marijuana first offense/making a deal with detective

Was anything signed between your son and the detective concerning their "deal". If so that document holds your answers if not the "deal" is only going to be what the detective says it is. There may be some defenses and a conditional discharge sounds like it may be obtainable if you wish to ask me further questions call me at 732-286-2170

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of John G. Ducey, PC 345 Herbertsville Road Brick, NJ 08724

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search