New Jersey  |  Entertainment Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/17/09, 9:20 am

I'm a songwriter. A well-known recording artist minimally contributed (1-2 lines of lyrics). I wrote 95% of this song. I am considering offering her joint copyright because she is eager to collaborate, although I write best left alone to do things my way but I feel she is providing my career with a tremendous boost by taking my song, recording it and getting it guaranteed airplay, and therefore income. My question is does it affect me monetarily to distinguish between listing her when I file copyright as contributing: "lyrics by me & her, music by me", as opposed to "lyrics & music by both me and her"? Thanks!

1 Answer

Answered on: 11/30/09, 4:28 pm by John Corbett

If what you want is to secure the maximum in rights for yourself, file two copyrights. The first would be in your name alone for the music. The second would be a derivative work in both names for the music with lyrics.

See also:

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Corbett Law Firm LLC 303 Walnut Ave. Evesham, NJ 08053-7016

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search