Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Can a family court hearing officer be held liable when misconduct is involved? Can they be sued?

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

A really interesting question. Judges can't be sued, that's well established - it's called absolute immunity. Hearing officers are at-will employees of the judicial branch subject to the policies of the judicial branch. They sort of look like a judge, but whether they have that kind of immunity from lawsuit I just don't know and haven't been able to find out. Judges are disciplined by a judicial standards commission and are subject to code of judicial conduct; hearing officers are also subject to certain articles of the code of judicial conduct, and for violations of those are subject to administrative discharge - apparently by the judge who hired them, which I presume is the chief judge of the district in which they work. I tried to find the personnel policies of the judicial branch that would apply but without success. If I wanted to complain about a hearing officer I would start with the chief judge in the district court where I had the case. If you did that you may find more answers to your question.

Look at NMSA 40-B-4 for the statutory rule about hearing officers - the statute is for child support officers but the rules apply that same statute to other hearing officers.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico