Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

I've been married for 18 years and have not worked outside of the house during this time. My husband receives a union pension can I ask for a portion of that

Asked on 4/16/13, 11:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

New Mexico is a community property state. That means, that in general, you're entitled to half of all property accumulated during your marriage using community funds. Community funds means wages or other income either of you received during the marriage; the only exclusion is income from separate property that one of you brought into the marriage, or inheritances and a couple of other things. Your half of the community property would include half of his pension rights. These are divided during the divorce using a document called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order, or QDRO, which has to be worked out with the institution that is providing the pension, and approved by the court..

Read more
Answered on 4/16/13, 9:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now