Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

Does the state of New York have a habitual criminal act. Where they can give a repeat offender more time.

Asked on 9/12/13, 4:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

kevin connolly Kevin J. Connolly
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

New York does not have such a law per se, but if the defendant is a "predicate felon" then instead of the minimum sentence being one-third of the max, it becomes half. So if a person is convicted of third degree robbery for a second time, instead of facing two years & four months to seven years, the top penalty would become 3.5 to 7.

Read more
9/22/13, 1:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88222 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessRiverside, San Bernardino, CA
Phillip D. Wheeler, Esq.Phillip D. Wheeler, Attorney At LawMorro Bay, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now