New York  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/12/13, 4:20 am

Does the state of New York have a habitual criminal act. Where they can give a repeat offender more time.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/22/13, 1:52 am by kevin connolly

New York does not have such a law per se, but if the defendant is a "predicate felon" then instead of the minimum sentence being one-third of the max, it becomes half. So if a person is convicted of third degree robbery for a second time, instead of facing two years & four months to seven years, the top penalty would become 3.5 to 7.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Kevin J. Connolly 30-06 36h Avenue Astoria, NY 11106

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search