Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

I have both B2 tourist visa and F1 student visa. Since I came to the USA more than 30 days from the beginning of the classes, I had to enter with my B2, and so says my I-94. I want to know how to change mu status from tourist to student, because now it's within 30 days from the start of the school. Again, I already have the student visa, but my current statua is tourist.

Asked on 8/08/12, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian D. Lerner Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Something was done incorrectly. You could have entered early on the F-1. You can't have both.

 Student Petition

You will need to obtain a change of status to that of a student. First, this is accomplished by getting the I-20 from a school that accepts non-immigrant students. There is no list of schools that accept non-immigrant students. Therefore, you simply need to call the school and ask for the official that deals with foreign students. Once the I-20 is received, my firm can prepare the Student Visa Petition. My firm can then prepare the entire Student Petition which must be submitted prior to the expiration of your current stay. 


Read more
8/11/12, 1:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88283 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now