New York  |  Immigration Law

I have both B2 tourist visa and F1 student visa. Since I came to the USA more than 30 days from the beginning of the classes, I had to enter with my B2, and so says my I-94. I want to know how to change mu status from tourist to student, because now it's within 30 days from the start of the school. Again, I already have the student visa, but my current statua is tourist.

Answered on: 8/11/12, 1:13 pm by Brian D. Lerner

Hello:

Something was done incorrectly. You could have entered early on the F-1. You can't have both.

Student Petition

You will need to obtain a change of status to that of a student. First, this is accomplished by getting the I-20 from a school that accepts non-immigrant students. There is no list of schools that accept non-immigrant students. Therefore, you simply need to call the school and ask for the official that deals with foreign students. Once the I-20 is received, my firm can prepare the Student Visa Petition. My firm can then prepare the entire Student Petition which must be submitted prior to the expiration of your current stay. 

Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A Professional Corporation 3233 E. Broadway Long Beach, CA 90803