North Carolina  |  Credit and Debt Law

I received a letter from a law firm that says "This is an advertisement for legal services," and then says that "the public records of the Clerk of Court in Wake County, NC indicate that a civil lawsuit for money damages has been filed against you." Is this legitimate, or a scam to sell me legal services? Is there a way to search for a suit against me in the Wake County Courts?

Answered on: 2/21/13, 5:04 pm by John Kirby

This is probably not a scam. You can go down to the courthouse and search their records, using a public computer, to see if you have been sued.

Law Offices of John M. Kirby 2501 Blue Ridge Road, Suite 250 Raleigh, NC 27607-6479

Answered on: 2/21/13, 5:32 pm by Kenneth Love

I agree with Mr. Kirby. this sounds like you have a lawsuit filed against you and a lawfirm is advertising their services to represent you. Go to the courthouse to see if you have been sued. If you don't live in Wake County, you can go to another county court and ask for assistance from the Clerks.

Ken Love Law 3410 Healy Drive Winston Salem, NC 27103

Answered on: 2/21/13, 7:01 pm by Rachel Hunter

Its not a scam. Lawyers who handle certain types of cases subscribe to a court list service that tells them when these types of cases are filed. For example, bankruptcy attorneys will look for cases against debtors for credit card, medical or other debt, traffic ticket/criminal attorneys will look for criminal citations and unemployment compensation attorneys look for these types of cases.

To my knowledge, the court records are not available online. There is a terminal at the courthouse to search though for the court records (called VCAS). You will have to go the courthouse to use it. But save yourself some work and a trip to the city. If you live in Wake County, you will get notice of the lawsuit soon enough. The sheriff will soon be paying you a visit to drop off the complaint. Or call in the afternoon - a clerk may tell you over the phone. The court docket number should be on the letter you received. Call Civil Division - 11th floor

Phone: (919) 792-4125.

If its for something like a credit card debt and you would like to resolve it in a non-litigation context, please contact me at rachelforjustice@hotmail.com.

Attorney address not available