North Carolina  |  Construction Law

new home contract / fault issue

A week after moving into my new home the sewer pipe between my home and the water main blocked and caused sewage to back up into my brand new home. The city came out and found the contractor to be at fault because rocks were left in the pipe which over the course of a week of flushing etc stopped the flow.

The builder is coming out today to review what they are going to do. They have informed me that according to their warranty they are respoonsible for this.

My question, If the builder does not live up to what I feel they should do ... do I have any recourse even though I have signed an arbitrator agreement clause. Does this even fall into something that is arbitrary, escpescially if the builder has admitted fault and responsibility.

The clean up crew they sent in had to tear out my hardwoods, carpets, ruined some furniture and clothes and went into my basement. The clean up crew did do a great job but the damages are considerable.

Any advice as to what my options may be would be greatly helpful as I am going to be sitting down with the company rep's this afternoon.