North Carolina  |  Family Law

I am 13 weeks pregnant and me and the father of the baby are no longer together. My deductible and insurance for having the baby is a large amount. Is there anyway I can get him to help with the insurance cost for having our baby?

Answered on: 10/03/13, 2:42 pm by Amanda Houser

The time honored Southern way is to sic your father and/or brother(s) on him to 'encourage' him to do right. Unfortunately, from a legal perspective, unless he was raised right and is a stand up guy - he is off the hook until a viable child is born and proven to be his. However, at that point you can start spanking him with child support. If you are still on speaking terms with him, I recommend that you let him know that you intend to seek child support and that he may as well own up to his responsibility now and plan to be at least a part of the child's life. There is no downside to this conversation. If he is a dirtbag, he will simply continue to be a dirtbag but if there is the possibility, regardless of how small, that he may come around and help you should take advantage of it. So basically, there's nothing for you to lose and you will also have the peace of mind knowing that you gave him every opportunity to do right.

The Houser Law Firm, P.C. 1007 Hargett Street Suite 2 Jacksonville, NC 28540