North Carolina  |  Traffic Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/16/01, 8:08 pm

What if the Police are out of their jurisdiction?

My question is whether or not a police officer can pull you over for speeding if they were sitting in another town when they clocked you? I was pulled over for speeding by one town, but where the police officer was sitting he was in another town. He was about 1/2 mile from his city limits, but waited till I got in his city limits before he pulled me over. Is this legal? Also, when he came up to the side of my vehicle to tell me why I was pulled over he said that I was doing 50 in a 35, but when he came back with the citation 20 minutes later he said he actually had me clocked at 54 in a 35. Is he allowed to change what he originally said? I now have to go to court because he changed what he originally said. I want to get a lawyer for this it worth my while to get one?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search