Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Ohio

Hello, I cosigned on a car loan for my now ex-husband while we were still legally married. It was outlined in our separation agreement that "Husband shall keep possession of and maintain the loan on the XXXXXX and hold the Wife harmless and indemnify her for any cost or expense associated with said vehicle". He has been late on the payments 3 times already this year and I am receiving collection calls from the bank that holds the loan. Is the above wording in our separation agreement enough to have me removed from the loan? Thank you.

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

In Ohio, your divorce decree will have nothing to do with who owes the loan as between you and the companies you co-signed with. They were not a party to the divorce and will not be affected by its terms. Rather, if your husband is not complying with the terms of the divorce decree, then you need to bring a contempt of court action against your husband in the court that issued your divorce decree.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Ohio

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms