Legal Question in Immigration Law in Ohio

Hello! I have a question regarding new green card immigrant.

My girlfriend got an US green card. I have B-2 visa.

1.Can we marry in USA?

2. What documents I will need for marry with my girlfriend in USA?

3. What status I will have after we got married?

4. Would I have permission to work in USA ?

Thank you!

Asked on 3/11/13, 2:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

1. Yes. Your status does not prohibit marriage.

2. Whatever the county recorder requires for a marriage license. You should check with the local office in your area.

3. None. You are only able to file as an "immediate relative" (for purposes of a greencard) if your spouse is a U.S. citizen. If she is only a Legal Permanent Resident, the wait is long (over 2 yrs). And even if she was a U.S. citizen, you don't automatically get legal status. You have to file forms & pay fees to the U.S. government, among other things. I suggest you review the information at for more details.

4. No.

I suggest you wait until your girlfriend becomes a U.S. citizen. Good Luck!

Read more
Answered on 3/12/13, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Ohio

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now