Hello! I have a question regarding new green card immigrant.
My girlfriend got an US green card. I have B-2 visa.
1.Can we marry in USA?
2. What documents I will need for marry with my girlfriend in USA?
3. What status I will have after we got married?
4. Would I have permission to work in USA ?
1 Answer from Attorneys
1. Yes. Your status does not prohibit marriage.
2. Whatever the county recorder requires for a marriage license. You should check with the local office in your area.
3. None. You are only able to file as an "immediate relative" (for purposes of a greencard) if your spouse is a U.S. citizen. If she is only a Legal Permanent Resident, the wait is long (over 2 yrs). And even if she was a U.S. citizen, you don't automatically get legal status. You have to file forms & pay fees to the U.S. government, among other things. I suggest you review the information at www.uscis.gov for more details.
I suggest you wait until your girlfriend becomes a U.S. citizen. Good Luck!
Related Questions & Answers
My previous employer(A) had filed the H1B petition for me on Nov 2011. But i had... Asked 1/28/13, 10:27 pm in United States Ohio Immigration Law
I am currently working in Ohio on an L1a visa but my company wont support a GC... Asked 1/11/13, 8:00 pm in United States Ohio Immigration Law
My husband gained his citizenship from Pakistan to the US in 1980, and at that time... Asked 1/04/13, 10:11 am in United States Ohio Immigration Law
I became LPR 5 yrs. ago and was unable to return to the US. It was unfortunate that... Asked 11/22/12, 6:22 am in United States Ohio Immigration Law